Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Eat Vancouver! Ok - I will then...

Hi all from a very sunny and summery Vancouver - I don't want anyone to get too excited but am delighted to report that is has been sunny for like a week now, and even broke the 20 degree mark a couple of times - hurrah for summer!

I have not really been up to much since I last wrote so apologies for the boring post - I am off on travels again from this weekend so hopefully it will make for more interesting reading! I spent a bit of time last week hanging out with my stranded buddy Neil before he made his escape to the Rockies. On Friday my boss decided that to repay me for my hard work typing non-stop for two days (and I am not even joking!) we would bunk off early and have a beer... this is definitely my kind of boss! After that I met up with the lovely Tracey for a haircut (that's right folks - goodbye afro)... we both got our crazy curls straightened after the cut and therefore had to go out for some cocktails to show off our shiny, non-afro like locks before they reverted to type this week!

We managed to hit a few classy joints before eventually retiring to Dennys for a banana split at 1am, which was all the more delicious for the fact we have been talking about said banana split for about three weeks! We stumbled home in the wee hours and I slept very soundly until ten - oh the joys of not having to get up at 8am or missing your breakfast like you do in the hostel! Poor Tracey had to get up three hours after she went to bed to head off to Victoria so I was pleased that James and I had opted for the far more civilised 11am start to go to Eat Vancouver!

As you all will know, I am very fond of eating so an event called Eat Vancouver! appealed to me quite a lot... James and I spent a good hour or two wandering around trying samples of loads of stuff and buying unnecessary and rather inappropriate 'souveniers' (ok that was just me)! I also managed to score a mountain of free rice so that will make a nice change from kraft dinner for the next couple of weeks too. After all that eating James and I went out for lunch (yeah, yeah I know) and then I decided to do a little shopping. Sadly all the eating made me feel rather podgy in everything so I didn't buy a thing!

Saturday night, after a few complications with movie-going plans, I watched a couple of dvds with my room-mate Marija and got the story about her trip to Serbia that she has just got back from. Sunday was another nice day so i spent it out wandering around the beaches and drinking lots of coffee in outdoor cafes... the most exciting thing that happened was when I got home in the afternoon and there was a racoon in the tree just outside my window staring at me... I got a few photos so will try to put those up for you all soon.

Well folks - that is about it for me - I am off to Tofino on Friday where I am hoping to see some more wildlife and do some hiking before my last full week at work... ah unemployment is calling!
Hope you are all well and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Gillian - looking forward to celebrating with you in a couple of weeks.

Be good,
Clare