Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Superbowl Sunday

So today is Superbowl Sunday! Ange and I are currently drinking a beverage tasting suspiciously like almond icing while actively trying to avoid watching the superbowl until the halftime show of Prince.

We have had a very busy week since we last wrote. Obviously the concert on Tuesday was fantastic! Wednesday night we played poker and I actually did very well until I got bored and went all in and subsequently lost - we play a ridiculous amount of poker around the hostel so I may come home a bit of a card shark yet!!!

Thursday Angela and I went to see Alpha Dog (the continuation of the week of JT) and were surprisingly impressed by his acting. The story was a bit depressing but not a bad movie all up. After the movie we hit the Velvet Underground for some $2.50 drinks and free pool. The dodgy lady dancing in a gimp mask was a surprising bonus! Trust me... all the crazys live in Toronto!

Friday was another long day at my VERY boring job (I got to empty my bosses bins though so all is not lost) and Friday night we had a big night out with the whole gang from the hostel... there was no occassion other than being a backpacker... we had our normal pool comp (yeah OK I lost) and then visited our local for some karaoke... fortunately I did not sing. The boys ripped out a couple of rock numbers but on the whole no-one embarrassed themselves too much!

Saturday was a big day - It was Angela's last weekend so we decided to do the rounds of a few of the suburbs on foot so she could check them out. We went right down Queen St W, which is the alternative part of town with lots of funky little shops and restaurants and we went to Chippys (apparently Toronto's best fish and chip shop) for lunch. It was OK but not really up to NZ standards!!! After lunch we wandered up to Little Italy and admired the houses before wandering through The Annex (the student part of town). We took a wander along Bloor ST to the fancy part of town and visited Tiffanys before heading home to defrost. It has been very cold this weekend - windchill taking the temp down to -27 yesterday. It sounds a lot worse than it is though to be honest!

Well that is all for me for now - Happy Birthday Megs!!!!
C