Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Hello from the Big Apple!

Hi all from New York! I hope you are all well!

I have been having a really interesting time in New York and thought it was probably time for an update for you all. I can't say that New York has cast the same spell on me as it has for a lot of people but it is certainly a fun place to visit and I have enjoyed exploring all the iconic sites! Unfortunately I have had a bit of a bug for my whole trip here so haven't been operating at full strength but still managed to get around a bit... so let me see... what have I done...

Well on Thursday I headed off to explore Central Park - visited Strawberry Fields, a little area dedicated to John Lennon just across from the apartment building where he was shot, Belvedere Castle, where New York's weather gets read, and the famous ice-rink... all very excellent! Then I hit the shops of 5th Avenue, although sadly only window shopping! Then I took in the Rockefeller Centre and Times Square and tried to visit the Guggenheim, which was sadly closed for renovations.

Friday I decided to go to the United Nations and checked out the Security Council and General Assembly areas - unfortunately the driving rain and snow meant you couldn't really appreicate the outdoors much though!! I also visited the Grand Central Station and took loads of pictures of the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings. Empire State had visibility of zero from the viewing areas so I had to give that a miss but may try to catch it today if I get a chance. I decided to wander down to Canal Street to get the requested hat for big brother and decide if I needed a rip-off Dolce and Gabbana purse... I am still deciding!

Yesterday I started the day by walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, then I took in City Hall and visited Ground Zero. I don't know what I expected at Ground Zero to be honest, but it is essentially a big construction zone with lots of art and other displays about September 11, complete with tacky souvenier stalls and people handing out leaflets trying to convince you that it was an inside job by the US Government... a very bizarre place to visit for sure.

After that I grabbed a slice of pizza and caught the ferry out to Ellis Island and got some great views of the Statue of Liberty and the skyline, plus a really interesting tour around Ellis Island, which is where all immigrants used to enter the United States. Today I am going to try and visit the MoMA and visit Macys and Bloomingdales I think, and fingers crossed for some improved weather so I can get up the Empire State.

Hope you are all well and I will write more from DC later in the week!
Clare