Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hard Rock and Frozen Noses

Hi everyone - I hope you are all well! Things here in Toronto are rocking along just nicely despite some fairly scary temperatures - just in case you don't believe me here is the temperature from one day last week, without the wind-chill taken into account. This day it got down to about minus 30:

It has been a fairly quiet week since I last wrote to you all. There are less and less of us long-termers left in the hostel every day and those of us that are left are too darn cold to come up with many ideas other than sitting near out heaters! This week we waved goodbye to Marcus with a few drinks at Upfront (no surprises there!). I also took in a couple of movies - the Last King of Scotland, which was a very powerful and full-on movie about Idi Amin, and Music and Lyrics, which was very silly and excellent in a totally different way! I definitely recommend both of them, although you probably need to be in the right mood for each of them.

This weekend was my second to last weekend in Toronto, all going according to plan, so I was determined to finally visit the Hard Rock Cafe. There are two Hard Rock Cafes in Toronto, but the one I wanted to go to is located in the Roger's Centre (or Skydome), which is where the baseball and football teams play. This weekend while we were there, there was a car show on so it was quite hard case to eat your lunch while looking over all these massive car displays - I really enjoyed it, and think it could definitely be a lot of fun there while a big game is on - it would definitely help the time go faster during all the stoppages in a game of canadian football! You can also stay in a hotel here with all the rooms looking out over the pitch - at $700 a night it is probably not an option for the backpackers amongst us though!

I also spent a bit of time this weekend just wandering about the city and checking out some of my favourite spots and things. One building that I don't think I have put a picture up of before is the Canada Life Building (here there is Campbell House in front of it). The Canada Life Building has flashing lights on the top that act as weather forecasters - white means snow, red means rain, green means clear and if the lights are static and not flashing that means the weather is not going to change. There are also some other complicated signals but to be honest I couldn't be bothered figuring all that out!


Well that is it for me for this week. Planning on spending this weekend catching up with people before I go, spending some time with Patrick and boys before they head off to Prince Edward Island next week, and buying some new socks!

Hope you are all well! Clare