The post of no name...
How are we world? I have been trying pretty hard to not spend too much money since I got back from Ottawa so it has been a reasonably quiet week but I have managed to fit in a few things...
I have been taking advantage of the hostel's free entertainment programme this week - hitting a comedy night on Wednesday night for starters. The comedy was pretty average (it seems to be where established comics go to practice their new material!) but it was a fun night out with the gang from the hostel. I called it a day about 11 because of my job interview the next day so missed out on the super 6 nacho experience but I will be sure to partake next week if my unemployment still reigns!
Thursday morning I set off for the mission trip to my job interview. The jobs this agency handle are largely down town but for some reason their office is two subways and a bus ride away from downtown! It took about an hour and a half to get there so for once I was grateful for my pathological need to arrive places early cos I needed every minute I had allowed to get there! The interview went pretty well and I am now offically an advanced user of word, outlook and my typing speed is 'A' grade... I am also a proficient user of excel and powerpoint and got nearly 90% on the grammer test. Off course all this means squat when it comes to getting a job in this place but at least it filled in a few hours doing all the testing! The agency is doing reference checking as we speak and I need to get in touch next week to see if they have anything for me - it was pretty frustrating to go through all that only to be told they didn't really have anything appropriate for me at the moment but I guess eventually a job has to turn up - otherwise see you all in a couple of weeks!!!
Anyway - after the mission job interview and subsequently being told by my other recruitment joint that I was not experienced enough to get a job working reception I was kinda scratchy and grumpy! A couple of vodkas and a grizzle with a couple of others in the hostel going through the same thing was very helpful though so I decided to join the gang for the Thursday night pub crawl in Little Italy. My name this week was 'lemon drop' though so maybe my sour mood was not as well hidden as I thought?!?!?! Anyway - had a good night out and embraced the life of unemployment totally by sleeping until lunchtime yesterday!
When I finally did get up yesterday I did a bit of a mission around the underground pedestrian pathway, just to see where it leads. It is totally possible that if you work downtown and use the subway to get to work you could just about avoid going outside at all which is a nice thought with winter just around the corner! The weather has started to turn for sure and it is time to start thinking about buying winter coats and shoes - I knew the jandals (flip-flops, thongs, whatever you call them) would not last forever but I will be sad to put them away!
The other thing I tried yesterday was a local delicacy called poutine. Poutine is basically french fries covered in that crazy plastic cheese they have in this part of the world, as well as gravy... it was odd and way too fatty to be totally enjoyable but good to tick off another one of those local dishes!!!
Anyway - better go and start rugging up for the game of Canadian football we are going to this afternoon - go the Argonauts (!?!?!)!
Miss you all - be good,
Clare

<< Home