Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Friday, September 01, 2006

London Calling

Hi all - well I am still here and thought (since you had all been so good!) that I would flick you one last update from London before I head off to Zoe's folks for the weekend and then next week to Canada.

Since I last wrote I went on a totally unsuccessful womble hunting mission but at least I had a good 'ramble' around the wimbledon common and got to try clotted cream (just not up to whipped cream standards folks...) on my scone. I also managed to check out the national gallery and the national portrait gallery on Wednesday. The national gallery largely went over my head but I really loved seeing the Van Gogh sunflowers paintings in real life. The portrait gallery was way cooler with heaps of great photos and some very old paintings of the royals etc. I also managed to hunt down some Ben and Jerry's ice cream (just in the interests of trying all the flavours you understand - I took one for the team).

Wednesday night Em, Phil and I went on a Jack the Ripper walk around town - it was interesting but the woman taking us around seemed more interested in her own theories than telling us the actual stories so we missed a lot of things but it was still cool.

Yesterday I met up with the lovely Jess and went to Greenwich via a river cruise where we proceeded to act like dorks on the prime meridian and ate some more scones and cream. It was great to see Jess again and feels a bit weird to think that I might not see her now for ages since she has been alongside me for heaps of my travels!

Today I am catching up with Amy to go and inspect Caroline's memorial spot in Hyde Park and probably eat more ice cream, and then tonight Em and I are going out for some fondue as a bit of a last night together treat. It has been so great staying with Em and catching up - its been about four years since we saw each other but it feels like about a week to be honest with you!

The nerves about Canada are up and running full strength now but I guess that isn't too bad since I will be there in a couple of days. Wish me luck and I will let you all know when I am safely touched down.
C