Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

My apologies dear reader...

Hi guys - sorry for the long time between posts. We have had a few technical problems at the hostel this week so haven't been able to fill you all in on the exciting world of administration and wintery weather!!! Since I last wrote I haven't really been up to much but here are some of the highlights for you...

Last Friday night the gang from the hostel and I hit our local bar (called Upfront) to witness some of the most 'interesting' karaoke a girl could ever see! The highlight is probably when our gentle front-desk clerk Nathan started doing the Limp Biskit version of George Michael's "faith"... bizarre doesn't even begin to describe it!!!

Last weekend was beautifully sunny and I spent Saturday dozing on my bed in the sun and Sunday exploring High Park with Natalie. High Park is Toronto's version of Central Park (you will find lots of the attractions here compared with New York) and it was truly lovely - there is a lake, a children's zoo, some historic homes and beautiful botanic gardens as well as just loads and loads of autumnal trees - it was lovely and made me feel much more like I was actually in Canada, rather than any old American city.

Monday was Thanksgiving in Canada but other than a day off work and eating far too much pumpkin pie (mum - do you remember tricking scott and I into eating pumpkin via pumpkin pie the first time?!?!?!) not much actually happened - I did hit a few shops to get some work gear though as my one and a half work outfits probably were not going to last the 4 day week ahead!

During the week things have been pretty quiet - I am basically doing the admin for a team of policy advisors so lots of photocopying and diary sorting and not much else. Not the most challenging role I have ever been in but just focusing on meeting lots of people, learning a bit about canadian government, and making enough money to see more of the country. I didn't realise just how "career-minded" I was until I started doing this kind of lark but I think I will get the hang of having a year off in not to long!!

I did join in on the hostel poker night during the week (and lost dismally and somehow still went to bed with a voucher for the movies in my pocket!) but the big story of the week is the weather... it snowed on Thursday and a little more on Friday. Nothing is settling yet but even the Canadians are a little alarmed at the early arrival of winter! I was particularly alarmed as my one pair of closed toe shoes and my one long-sleeved top were probably not going to cut the mustard for long and today I brought the cosiest coat and boots a girl could wish for!! So bizarre to buy shoes depending on their ability to withstand temperatures of -20c but that is what I did today!!! Trust me - after walking to work the last couple of days in temps of 1 and 2 degrees I think it is worth it - particularly after sitting through the ice-hockey last night and trying not to lose a toe to frost-bite!!!

I have had a bit of a lonely attack this week - made lots of friends at the hostel but it is mostly blokes so been a bit up and down but am working with lots of young women so am sure things will start to look up soon, plus natalie and I are getting together tomorrow for another girly catch-up! Hope you are all well - enjoy the spring weather!

Cheers,
C