Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Clare and the Boston Kreme

Hi all from Boston! I just got gifted ten free minutes of internet and thought how better to spend my time than to update you guys on my Boston trip so far?!

I left Canada early on Thursday morning, went through US customs before I left Toronto (odd but OK - ever friendly US customs officials were exactly the same even if they were in another country!) and boarded my very little commuter flight to Boston. Brave Clare came to Boston and negotiated the subway system to my hostel, which I am surprised to report is in a surprisingly great location and is excellently clean and bright. They let me check in straight away and so I dropped my bags and coat off (it was 19 degrees... hello global warming...welcome to North America) and headed in to town.

I explored around Boston Common and the Public Gardens, which were very pretty although perhaps not their best during the between fall leaves and snow seasons. Then I started out on the freedom trail, which is a painted red stripe on the streets of Boston taking you around all the historical sights... and this city is BRIMMING with history. I really love it all, hearing about the American revolution, the signing of the declaration of independence, the Boston Tea Party and on and on. Historical buildings are found between all the high rises and the people are much friendly than I have found in Toronto or other American cities.

Some of the highlights were the Old State House (where the Boston Massacre took place and where the Declaration of Independence was signed among other things), Fanieuil Hall and Quincy Market (an old town hall which is now fully of shops and food markets and restored really beautifully) and Paul Revere's house. After that I retired to a pub where I drank a Samuel Adams Ale while looking out on Sam Adam's grave marker - bizarre but felt like a must do!

I also joined one of the girls from the hostel at the official lighting of the Christmas tree, thereby continuing the Clare Allison Christmas Tree Tour! It was really nice to be at something like that at 7 in the evening rather than at home when we have to wait until 10 or whatever for it to be dark. I am finally understanding what my northen hemisphere buds mean about Christmas not seeming the same in Summer - it is definitely easier to get in the mood with all the dark and cold etc around - well it will be if and when the snow ever arrives!

Yesterday I started off by trying to visit the Boston Tea Party ship... one problem... it burned down recently so there is nothing to see. I was pretty bummed out about that so when it started to rain I decided to jump on a city trolley tour to stay dry and see some more sights. We took in Little Italy (very authentic, lots of italian accents and old fashioned pizzarias), the USS Constitution (the oldest commission workship in the US) and Beacon Hill. Afterwards I went and had some Lobster Bisque, a pastry from famous Mikes Bakery and wandered back to the hostel down Newbury Street - Boston's answer to Rodeo Drive.

Today I headed off to Harvard first thing (pronunced Hahvahd in the local accent) and took in the unofficial tour of the campus, which showed you all the historical buildings as well as tid-bits like where Matt Damon's room was, where JFK's room was, Al Gore and Tommy Lee Jones dorm (they were roommates!) and all the rest. Lots of fun and even though Harvard was not as pretty as I expected it was still really interesting.

I ran into some people from the hostel after that and we all got together to head to the JFK Library and Museum... this has to be one of the best museums I have ever seen. It chronicles JFK's presidency and has lots of displays of his actual speeches, campaign posters etc etc etc. It is also in a beautiful setting right by the Charles River and all in all was fantastic.

Anyway - I am now thinking about heading off to get some dinner and maybe see a movie with some of the gang so I hope you are all well and I will write more soon.

Cheers,
Clare