Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pool, Pumpkins and holiday Plans

See how I almost managed to get an alliterative (is that a word?) title there folks? So how are we all? Things are good here in sunny Toronto - freezing cold but the sun is shining so I can live with that. There have been rumours of snow all week but so far nothing...

Well my stories are not quite as exciting now that I am pretty settled here in Toronto but it was Halloween this week so I have managed to have a bit of a Canadian experience - on Monday my workmates took the morning off work (I will never have a bad word said against New Zealand public service work ethics again after seeing these guys in action!) to carve pumpkins! Our team's one did not take out the main prize - that went to a killer bunny, which was frankly AWESOME - but still looked very cute in its beach comber outfit. That got me all inspired so when I got back to the hostel on Monday night I rolled up my sleeves, selected my knife and carved myself a pumpkin. It was actually quite fun, even if we did smell a bit dodgy afterwards. The people at the table next to us at the pub for the after match function must have been a bit curious, as must be all the canadian's who walk past our hostel windows and see our very basic efforts!

There was lots of candy and chocolate everywhere I went this week and heaps of kids out on the streets trick or treating - it was very cute as long as you can get past the blatant commercialism of the whole thing!

I have now competed in two hostel pool competitions too by the way - not winning any prizes yet but the product of a mispent few years at university is that I am not as uncompetitive as I first feared... watch this space for further progress reports, as the pool comp is now a weekly event here!

This week was moving week so I have now moved up in the world to the 8th floor of the hostel, with a great view of the fall leaves in the church yard across the road - it is certainly a nice change from a view of the rubbish bins and concrete courtyard where the local homeless congregate in the mornings. Homelessness is a huge problem in Toronto and I am still finding it hard to get used to the number of people begging on the streets, and how aggressive they can be. I can understand how this could happen in a country like america without decent social supports but I can't figure out how canada thinks this is ok.

Yesterday I decided that I had been here too long (two months if you can believe it!) to not have done more travelling so I have booked myself a trip to Boston in about 4 weeks - I am really excited about it and can't wait to be back travelling again, albeit just for a long weekend. Has anyone been and have recommendations??

Well, I had better go and put my washing in the dryer... I am doing my weekly wearing shorts and flip-flops around the hostel on Saturday thing as I am out of socks and trousers again. I am totally sick of every item of clothing I own and I really need to get some more and some new stuff but can't quite bring myself to spend the dosh yet!

Anyway - hope you are all well! Talk soon,
Clare