Clare's Excellent Adventures

Clare's off overseas, and she's too lazy to send group emails.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Where the hell am I??? Oh yeah... Singapore...

Hi everyone! I am pleased to report that I am alive and well and in Singapore... I have been utterly lost since I arrived and have ABSOLUTELY no idea where I am currently located on the island of Singapore but so far that doesn't seem to have caused me any undue difficulties!

I had a really good flight over - whole row to myself and in the row behind the bulkhead so heaps of leg room. I watched Ice Age 2 before the sound on my side of the plane conked out so then I had to amuse myself by making up my own dialogue for movies about ballroom dancing starring Antonio Bandares... to be honest the novelty of that wore off quite fast so then I had to get some practice in on the electronic yahtzee. The air hostesses were fascinated by this game and all wanted to know how it worked and have a go... this was odd but definitely helped fill in the time!!!

Yesterday I went on a city tour (again - not sure how this happened or where anything was in relation to each other but apparently that doesn't matter). We checked out the national orchid garden, visited a temple in Little India, went to Raffles (where our driver got told off for bringing such shabby looking specimans into the hotel!), saw the Merlion, held a python (OK - I just watched the other people on my tour hold a python) and had lunch in Chinatown. It was really interesting and a good way to see some of Singapore's highlights. Last night I went on the Night Safari with some people from my hotel (from Hataitai in Wellington - small world) and checked out all the animals and saw some fire dancing. It was a fantastic evening so thank you to everyone who recommended that one! I buddied up with an Aussie called Diana who I am heading over to Sentosa with today so hopefully should be able to get some photos of me in front of things just to prove to you all that I am actually here (except you Zoe - clearly I am just having a week in Christchurch and am lying to everyone else).

This morning I went on the hunt for a local breakfast - I ended up having a sort of roast chicken and rice thing which was really tasty, albeit a little bizarre at 8am! It described itself as chicken licking good - I have never licked a chicken so can't really confirm the validity of this claim but it was certainly tasty. The food here has been totally fantastic everywhere I have been actually, and my hotel is a little bit out of the city which is forcing me to be a bit more adventurous than I probably would be otherwise!

Well I had better go and figure out where the heck I am but I hope you are all well and happy - see you soon!